Players are whisked away to a remote island paradise through Nook Inc.’s Deserted Island Getaway Package, allowing them to start a new life with only the basics. In the 27 minute video, it’s revealed that despite the isolation, there’s so much to be done and many, many creatures to meet with.
Shown in the video are a number of new and returning features:
- Being able to customize the island layout and if the island resides in either the northern or southern hemisphere, as placement can affect the seasons.
- DIY skills allows players to craft tools and other items from resources located around the island. Using DIY instructions, players can learn how to make axes, fishing rods and more to make their life in paradise easier.
- Using the Nook Phone lets players navigate with maps, take in-game photos, and even become a landscaper (appears later in the game).
- Nook Miles are the game’s loyalty program, where players can accrue points for completing special tasks and challenges. Miles then can be redeemed towards paying down loans or special Nook Inc. merchandise.
- Up to eight players can live on the island, and using the Party Play feature, a maximum of three players can follow a leader around the island to participate in challenges. Leaders can quickly swap places with the followers so everyone has a turn at the fun.
- With a fully decorated island, players will receive an app on the Nook Phone to permit them to add paths, realign rivers and streams, and to create or remove rocky cliffs!
- While players start the game with a basic tent, through completing challenges and hoarding some bells to pay back Tom Nook, home ownership with a proper house is possible.
- Being on a remote island doesn’t mean you’re far from any necessities. As players build and expand, new services and travelling sales creatures will stop by to hawk their wares.
- The game will also support amiibo figures and cards the Animal Crossing series.
Excited yet? There’s so much more packed away on such a small strip of land. Nintendo also has plans for free DLC over the year to coincide with real life holidays like Easter, Halloween and Christmas!
Animal Crossing: New Horizons releases on Friday, March 20th, 2020 with both physical and digital copies.