The newest addition in the sci-fi franchise Blade Runner is due out this year with Blade Runner: Black Lotus. Crunchyroll and Adult Swim have partnered together for distribution of this anticipated anime series in North America and other countries outside of Asia; they’ve also revealed the cast and will provide a glimpse into Blade Runner: Black Lotus later this month during San Diego Comic-Con@Home 2021.
Blade Runner: Black Lotus is comprised of 13 episodes under the direction of Shinji Aramaki and Kenji Kamiyama, with Shinichiro Watanabe as the creative producer. Alcon Entertainment is handling the production with animation from Sola Digital Arts.
Crunchyroll has shared a press release with the English and Japanese voice cast.
- Elle, a female replicant created for a secret and unknown purpose. Voiced by Jessica Henwick in English and Arisa Shida in Japanese.
- Joseph, a mysterious figure who owns a spare parts junkyard in Los Angeles. Voiced by Will Yun Lee in English and Shinshu Fuji in Japanese.
- Alani Davis, a fresh LAPD recruit. Voiced by Samira Wiley in English and Takako Honda in Japanese.
- Niander Wallace Sr, founder and CEO of the Wallace Corporation. Voiced by Brian Cox in English and Takaya Hashi in Japanese.
- Niander Wallace Jr, brilliant scientist working for his father. Voiced by Wes Bentley in English and Takehito Koyasu in Japanese.
- Marlowe, a deadly Blade Runner. Voiced by Josh Duhamel in English and Taiten Kusunoki in Japanese.
- Josephine Grant, the wife of the police chief. Voiced by Peyton List in English and Yoshiko Sakakibara in Japanese.
- Earl Grant, Police Chief of the LAPD. Voiced by Stephen Root in English and Hochu Otsuka in Japanese.
- Doc Badger, a black market dealer. Voiced by Barkhad Abdi in English and Takayuki Kinba in Japanese.
- Senator Bannister, a politician with strong feelings on replicant production. Voiced by Gregg Henry in English and Masane Tsukayama in Japanese.
- Doctor M, a brilliant doctor and professor of medicine. Voiced by Henry Czerny in English and Akio Nojima in Japanese.
- Hooper, a journalist in the pocket of the Wallace Corporation. Voiced by Jason Spisak in English and Kazuki Yao in Japanese.
San Diego Comic-Con has moved online for 2021 as the United States returns to normalcy. Crunchyroll will host the panel virtually on YouTube on Friday, July 23rd, 2021 at 5:00 pm PDT / 8:00 pm EDT with directors Shinji Aramaki and Kenji Kamiyama, executive producer Joseph Chou, voice director Wes Gleason, voice actor Jessica Henwick, and Adult Swim senior vice-president Jason DeMarco.
Adult Swim will carry Blade Runner: Black Lotus in English on their Toonami television block while Crunchyroll will stream it in Japanese with subtitles online for the global anime community when it airs later in 2021.
Blade Runner is a 1982 theatrical adaptation of Philip K. Dick’s novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?. The film, directed by Ridley Scott, starred Harrison Ford, Rutger Hauer, Sean Young, and Edward James Olmos in a futuristic Los Angeles where a retired cop is sent to destroy renegade robotic humans. Blade Runner has since become a science fiction phenomenon spurring numerous spin-offs and inspiring similar dystopian future worlds in the entertainment universe.
Source: Crunchyroll press release
Did you find a typographical or factual error in this article? Please let us know!